BG Green

BG Green Partnership for a Sustainable Community is a diverse network of citizens who seek to build a sustainable community in Bowling Green, Kentucky and the region. We have four goals: environmental stewardship, economic prosperity, social equity, citizen empowerment. We support these goals through community education, outreach, and action.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Environmentalist Wanna Be


My recent affiliation with Organic Bouquet and Blumebox has taken me on an unexpected cyber whirlwind through the green industry. My desire to find a "local" group to network with is what brought me to this blog, and I was thrilled to be asked to share my experiences with you. Although my main objective is to learn from the strong network that has been started here at BG Green. But let me back up a little and make a little confession. I am an environmentalist wanna be. I have long been a nature lover and thought of myself as an "environmentally friendly" person. I put plastic and alluminum in recycling containers, purchase recycleable materials and would never litter. I spent several years in the landscape industry and half of our job was picking up the litter others threw out their windows. But I have recently felt very convicted to take an inventory of my habits and lifestyle choices that effect the environment. I am doing this within my home and business. There are a lot of things I am doing right, many changes I have already made, several changes I am going to make and a few that I am praying to have the willpower and courage to change.

I am first a mother (Carter, 3 and Elizabeth, 1) and wife and second a horticulturist. My current focus is floral design and while you would think that the this would be a very "green" industry, it's not. But there are many efforts to improve this industry and I have luckily partnered with many of them. Stay tuned for updates on "the greening of the green industry" in future posts. My emphasis will continue to be creating beautiful, elegant designs from products that are grown and harvested using practices that improve the quality of farm working conditions, minimize damage to ecosystem, and enhance the environment for future generations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home